Wigan 14-0 Castleford: Warriors secure Grand Final meeting with Warrington

Embed from Getty Images

It was a joyous day in office for Wigan fans as they see their team progress to the Grand Final this year after a resounding victory over Castleford. In a thrilling game that the Warriors showed how good they are by exposing the lapses of their opponents in which they were able to win 14-0 victory at the DW stadium. 

They now head into the final next week Saturday to face Warrington at Old Trafford at the Grand Final. Wigan will go to Old Trafford and face Warrington in this year's Grand Final after a 14-0 victory over Castleford at the DW Stadium. It was a stroke of genius pulled by Wigan as they produce a defensive master class in the game enroute their 10th Super League Grand Final appearance and also a special gift for their outgoing coach, Shaun Wane.
There is no doubt that Wigan has been on a good form in recent time, and this will be a good news to fan who are willing to cash out of their passion by betting with LeoVegas Sportsbook.

This final is one the Wigan team as a whole will want to win as it will serve as a parting gift not hust for the coach leaving but also their players retiring from the game like Sam Tomkins, John Bateman and Ryan Sutton.

Wigan will hope that the final will be a repeat of 2016 final when they faced Warrington and they won 12-6 and will hope to make this their 10th win on the bounce. The win did not fail to show the absence of Jake Trueman who was out due to injury while Luke Gale is not at the level he was this time last year when he won the Steve Prescott Man of Steel trophy. 

It was a one way encounter in the match as Castleford were never in line to win the game with their performance as Wigan controlled the game from the first quarter. It was a surprise that Castleford had 13 men on the field after their players, Grant Millington and Gale both lunched a tackle on Wigan's Dominic Manfredi all inside the first 10 minutes of action.

It was second rower, Joe Greenwood, fresh from his call-up by England, which was held up over the line that created the chance for Tommy Leuluai when he burrowed his way over for the opening try on his 250th appearance for Wigan.

The result could have been worse than that if Wigan had taken their chances as Tomkins added to the score after he had missed a chance. Despite being the away side and being in poor form, Castleford, urged on by a vociferous following of 4,500 fans, had their chances fluffed. Their skipper, Michael Shenton who went close to the corner but could not convert same as hooker, Paul McShane, who lost his grip on the slippery ball as he attempted to dive over the line.

There was a show of dominance by Wigan when they gave skipper, Sean O'Loughlin a 30-minute rest in the middle of the game and they could still go ahead in the game. They extended their lead more in the second half when Tomkins got on the outside of Gale and used the greasy turf to slide over at the corner.

Tomkins had the last goal in the game in the last minute with his second drop goal.