Full Time
5:30pm Sat August 18, 2018
Round 23 - Leichhardt Oval - Crowd: 18387

Match Overview

It wasn't pretty or convincing, but eased the pressure on the Dragons finals campaign as they scrapped their way to a 20-10 victory at Leichhardt Oval tonight over a Tigers side still fighting for a finals berth.

The Tigers looked more impressive early on in the match, dominating field position and possession, as the Dragons gave away the first 6 penalties. However the Tigers could not get their passes to stick when inside the Dragons red zone.

It wasn't until the 28th minute that the scoreboard moved, when Leilua made a bullocking run, brroke the line, then passed to Mann, whose draw and pass sent Pereira over in the left corner for a good try. Lafai slotted the goal from touch.

Five minutes later the Dragons got a penalty in the Tigers half and opted to kick for the two points, but Lafai hit the uprights and missed.

The second half started woefully for the Dragons halfback Ben Hunt. He dropped the kick-off and from the ensuing scrum, Brooks drifted to the left then hit Lawrence running a sweet straight line at pace and straight past a stationary Hunt to score. Marsters was unable to convert.

After the Dragons gave away a few penalties, Ben Hunt was then sent to the sin bin. Marsters kicked a penalty goal to level the scores.

On the hour, the Dragons received a penalty and Lafai kicked a goal to regain the lead for his side.

As Hunt returned to the field the Dragons had a scrum inside the Tigers 10m. From the scrum, the ball went to Leilua who swatted away a defender and then strolled over for a good try. Lafai converted from almost in front.

Ten minutes later, the match was put beyond doubt when Frizell took a crash ball, running on an angled run back towards the posts and he slammed it down for a strong try. Lafai again converted.

The Tigers scored a consolation try 100 seconds from fulltime when Mbye threw a magnificent long, cut-out ball to Naiqama who strolled over to score in the left corner. Marsters missed the tough conversion.

The Dragons head home to host the Bulldogs at Kogarah on Sunday next round, while the Tigers' last home game is on Thursday when they host Manly at Campbelltown.

3. Jack de Belin

de Belin was at his powerful best in defence, leading his team all game without the ball. Played an immense role all game to shut down the Tigers through the middle.

2. Tyson Frizell

Powerful running game all night capped with a strong try to seal the match.

1. Luciano Leilua

Raw power and a huge threat every time. Played a big role in the first try for the Dragons and scored in the second half to get his side out to a comfortable lead.